Cloud Security Solutions: The 411 on Hosted Vs. Managed
How do you protect the data you store in the cloud? IST provides two leveled options for protection through the S.H.I.E.L.D program: a hosted and a managed security solution.
With a hosted solution, you have more involvement in the process. Your users control their security remotely in real-time through a browser or mobile app. There are several reasons why this is an attractive option for a growing number of businesses:
- Intuitive Web Interface: It’s easy to use the platform from any PC or mobile device.
- Free Updates: You no longer have to manage or incur the IT costs to keep up to date with update changes.
- Data is Secure and Redundant: All information is continuously backed up and stored in a fire and flood-safe secured facility. The data then can be easily recovered in an event of a disaster.
- Decreased IT Staffing Costs: IST as your hosted security solution provider maintains the software and eliminates any inefficiencies.
- Eliminated PC and Software Costs: All infrastructure, including PCs/servers, software and OS requirements, is housed at IST, allowing you to avoid those large expenses.
With a managed solution, there are additional benefits. The Managed Service Provider (MSP) differs from a hosted solution in that it eliminates the dreaded “knowledge” gap. Meaning you must continually train your users—as well as the drain on your IT manpower required to manage the system. Some benefits include:
- Professionally Managed, Worry Free Service: You can drastically reduce in-house IT staffing costs and receive the highest levels of service without fear of breaches since your MSP handles all security issues.
- No Knowledge Gap: There’s no need to train users inside your company or organization.
- Decreased IT Staffing Costs: The MSP maintains the software and eliminates any inefficiencies, so you don’t need to tap your in-house team to manage these issues.
- Eliminated PC and Software Costs: All infrastructure, including PCs/servers, software and OS requirements, is housed at IST.
Which is the best option for your company or organization? It depends. How involved would you like your IT team to be? How much time would you like to spend training users? Based on your level of comfort handling certain security issues, you can pick the level that matches your threshold for involvement.
Check out our next post to see whether hosted or managed solutions better suit your needs.